In order to travel to Europe from another country, many of those looking for a visa are wondering about the process. Many countries visiting Europe do not need a visa if they are spending a limited amount of time in Europe. Now, those that are intending to stay for a few months to a year do require a visa. ETIAS is designed to help those obtain a visa to stay in Europe, specifically those that are from Australia.
The first thing that is needed is a completed visa application form along with two recent passport style photos. The photos have to be taken within the last three months. A valid passport is needed that is no more than 10 years old and/or has been valid for three months before departing the Schengen area of choice. Complete proof of flight and accommodation itinerary is needed and payment for visa.
Do Australian citizens need a VISA for Europe?
If you currently live in Australia and are planning a trip to Europe or the Schengen area, then you may not need to apply for a visa. If staying for 90 days or less, then you do not need to apply for a visa in order to travel to Europe. On the contrary, if you are not an Australian citizen but living there and you would like to visit Europe then you do need to apply for a Europe visa in order to travel to Europe. Proof that you are able to remain in Australia legally is required and the status of your living arrangements. Although, it is mainly Australian citizen that are looking toward a visa, there are others that are living in Australia that wish to travel aboard as well either for business purposes or as a student. Those outlines are also detailed further in this article.
It is important to know that from 2021 will be necessary to apply for an ETIAS, an authorization to enter the Schengen area.
ETIAS VISA Requirements for Australian Citizens
Please, note that more information can be needed. Therefore, having a valid email is recommended for any follow up information needed. In addition, if you are applying for family members as well, please have the same information that is required for yourself for them as well. In order to apply for a visa as an Australian citizen or permanent/ temporal resident, you will need:
1. Your completed Visa application form and make two copies.
2. Valid passport with two blank pages. Valid for three months before departure and no more than 10 years old.
3. If not an Australian citizen then you’ll need your Australian Residence Card and you must have been living in Australia for three months prior.
4. Clear photograph of yourself that is no more than three months old.
5. A letter stating why you are visiting Europe, any business natures, and how long you intend to stay.
6. Travel and accommodation itinerary and proof.
7. Letter of invitation if acceptable.
8. Proof of income to fund your stay.
9. European travel insurance.
10. Proof of employment or student ID proof.
11. Birth certificate.
Europe VISA Application form for Australia
You are able to apply for a visa 90 days ahead of your travel date but no sooner than that. The entire application process takes around 2 weeks, but there are some instances where the process can take longer. Therefore, it is recommended to being your application in advance.
Depending on the your trip length of time and reason, you may apply toward different visa:
- Type A visa: Airport Transit visa if you are traveling via airplane for up to 90 days
- Type C visa: Short-stay visa for up to 90 days stay
- Type D normal visa: Long-stay visa for staying longer than 90 days
Make sure you have all of your documents ready to go.
Don’t forget the ETIAS, a mandatory authorization from 2021 to enter the Schengen area as a tourist.